Only individuals with either (1) Low Value Purchase Order authority or (2) PALCard holders are authorized to purchase computer supplies and materials at either The Hill or outside vendors. An individual who makes an unauthorized purchase of goods or services may be personally responsible for payment of the charges incurred. For unneeded items or items whose purchase would not otherwise be authorized, the unauthorized individual shall be required to pay either the full amount or the amount of any cancellation charges incurred when a cancellation can be arranged. Computing Services does not have access to your funding, therefore cannot place orders.
Please note that ALL computers purchased with University funds are required to be delivered to the SE Computing Office to be inventoried. As part of this process, equipment 1) will be tagged with our inventory asset identifiers, 2) checked for any defects and or malfunctions and 3) supporting documentation will be logged for auditing purposes. Please allow 2-3 days after delivery for processing of equipment. For any urgent orders please contact us before ordering.
**See "Computing Services offers the following levels of support" for further information and explanation**
|Support Staff Admin
(account = SE Tech)
User Admin Rights
|SE Supplied/Initial Software Installation & Troubleshooting||Yes||Yes||Initial Setup|
|Software Installation & Troubleshooting||Yes||No||No|
|UCI licensed Software Installation *||Yes||Yes (or OIT)||OIT only|
|External Backup Drive (Faculty
|Backup Configuration Advice||Yes||Yes||No|
Computing Services offers the following levels of support
- Standard Support: User(s) agree to use SE Computing as their only support to fully maintain their computer and agree to run the system with limited rights.
- Limited: SE Computing will support the hardware aspect of the machine while under manufacturer warranty, but will neither cover the service shipment costs nor delivery for service for non-Dell products. User(s) will take software responsibility of the machine. This includes operating system and application(s) updates, installation of peripherals, and installation of needed software. Upon malware or virus detection/issues, SE Computing will wipe the machine back to the original state when first given to user. Machines with SOCECO server access do not qualify for this service due to security concerns.
*UCI licensed software maybe installed by SE Computing. If issues arise during installation from other software issues i.e. computer is out of date with updates, other software(s) need updating. User will need to address those issues first in order to complete installations*
- None: User(s) will take full rights/responsibility of their equipment. Installations, updates, hardware setups, and or warranty dispute(s) will be taken care of by the user. No “SE Tech” account will exist. Machines with SOCECO server access do not qualify for this service due to security concerns.
All Social Ecology equipment will have the following software installed (unless otherwise requested by the user).
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Adobe Flash
- Cisco VPN
- McAfee Enterprise (Anti virus)
- Microsoft Office Suite - includes Outlook for email
- Mozilla FireFox
- TeamViewer (Remote Assistance)
User(s) are responsible for maintaining up-to-date backup(s) of data. SE Computing can assist with initial setup and recommendations, but it is up to the user(s) to supply the media to store the backup(s).
*Note: For more detailed information on Install ONLY accounts see: http://computing.soceco.uci.edu/pages/installonly
**Hardware must be purchased with either Apple Care or a 3-4 year manufacturer warranty to qualify for either standard or limited service.
For questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.